Convenient care for the whole family
At Neighborhood Smiles, we understand that Belleville families are busy – from PTA meetings, to softball practice, to doctor appointments – it can be hard to get everyone in for their regular dental cleanings and exams. That’s why we are happy to offer family appointment blocks so you can take care of all your family’s smiles in just one visit!
One common misconception surrounding pediatric dentistry is that it’s not that important because their baby teeth are just going to fall out and be replaced by adult teeth anyway. This is a dangerous myth that we would like to put to rest immediately.
The truth is, baby teeth set the stage for adult teeth to grow in properly, and if not well-cared for, could lead to a host of costly and painful oral health problems down the road. Not to mention, good habits are formed at an early age, and starting kids young with a good oral homecare routine and regular visits to the dentist will ensure healthy habits that carry on into adulthood.
Dr. Yakowicz and our excellent hygiene team are specially trained in working with children, and provide gentle yet thorough cleanings that are anything but scary. We also offer fluoride treatments, and dental sealants which are great for keeping cavities at bay. If we do find a cavity, we can take care of it with a tooth colored filling.
Caring for baby teeth
To keep your young one’s smile happy and healthy, it’s important to start cleaning their teeth early, and once they are ready, to teach them how to do it properly themselves. Here are some helpful tips on keeping your kids teeth clean at home:
- You should start cleaning your baby’s gums before teeth come in. Gently wipe them using a warm wet rag or baby brush after feeding.
- Bring your baby in to see us as soon as their first tooth emerges, which is usually around 1 year of age.
- Use a children’s toothbrush (soft bristle, small head, large handle) and a small amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- You should brush your child’s teeth for them until they are able to hold the brush themselves.
- Continue to supervise brushing until they are able to rinse and spit without assistance, usually around age 6.
- Maintain their regular, twice yearly visits at Neighborhood Smiles.
Set your kids up for success and a lifetime of happy, healthy smiles! If you have any questions about family dentistry or would like to schedule an appointment with your Belleville family dentist, Dr. Yakowicz at Neighborhood Smiles, give us a call today at (608) 424-3222.